The Knoxville Fire Department is trained and equipped for response to hazardous materials incidents on campus. If a chemical is spilled inside a building, the safest choice is to evacuate and stay outside the perimeter established by first responders.
If you encounter a hazardous material leak or spill indoors:
- If it’s safe to do so, contain the spill.
- Secure the area. Close and lock doors, post signs to keep others out.
- Evacuate to the building assembly point and call 911 if the spill is highly hazardous and requires immediate action. Visit the Functional Needs Emergency Information page if you need evacuation assistance.
- Inform first responders and emergency personnel of the exact location of the spill, as well as the type and amount of materials, if known.
- If you believe you may have been exposed to a hazardous chemical or you feel unusual, seek proper medical attention as soon as possible. Remove any clothing that may have been contaminated and start decontamination. Call 911 to report the symptoms and get guidance on the nearest medical facility appropriate for your treatment.
Reporting Unsafe Practices
The best possible outcome is prevention. If you witness unsafe lab practices, report them by contacting:
- Environmental Health and Safety at 865-974-5084 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ag Campus Safety email@example.com
- Biosafety firstname.lastname@example.org
- Radiation Safety email@example.com